The Inspector General in the Ministry of Communication gave this assurance in Beijing, china on Monday.
Prof. Felix Zogo, revealed this to Cameroon Tribune in Beijing, during a two-day digital television seminar for Africa organized by China’s media giant, StarTimes.
Cameroonians will begin enjoying quality Digital Terrestrial Television by 2018, after the country completes its switchover from analogue to digital broadcasting. This will come in advance of the 2020 extended deadline granted to African countries by the International Telecommunications Union.
“The digital switchover process in Cameroon is underway. CRTV digital centres in Yaounde and Doula were ready since more than a year ago. Digitalisation will continue in the North West, West and North Regions. By the end of 2017, not less than 60 to 70 per cent of the 38 broadcasting centres in the country will be completely digitalised. And by the end of 2018, all 38 centres will be ready for digital broadcasting to go ahead,” Prof. Zogo assured.
As of now, the government is awaiting funding from the EXIM Bank of China to acquire necessary equipment. The bank will fund 85 per cent of the 110 Billion FCFA project cost, while Cameroon will provide the remaining 15 per cent, Prof. Zogo explained.
Digital switchover demands the complete replacement of current analogue transmitters with digital ones thus necessitating huge technological and financial input.
Cours de préparations pour le concours de l’ESSTIC 2022 ou de l’IRIC 2022 avec IRIC-ESSTIC PLUS- 699089937- 677932102